Saturday, August 7, 2010

Website Update -Navigation Bar



It's been a while since my last post, and during this time I've been working very hard on the website. But I must admit I underestimated the work to be done. So far I've only finished the banner and the navigation bar. It wasn't as smooth as it could have been, and in the past month due to Summer School the progress has been slowed down. But regardless I have the confidence to mark the deadline of this project as September 1st.

First of all from my last post I discussed the possibilities and my original intentions of making the navigation bar a drop down menu. Yet when it came to working on it, great difficulties emerged. There are two ways of doing it: JavaScript, or CSS. Both has their weaknesses, and either is easy.

JavaScript first of all gets the job down, allows complex graphics, yet is incompatible for all browsers. It would be unreasonable to give up compatibility for such a crucial component of the website.

CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) gives relatively more compatibility, but disallows complex graphics required. CSS allows mono-colored buttons with links on them, which basically dismissed the button designs I worked on. This I didn't want either as mono-colored buttons are effective when numerous. Considering how our website only needs 8 buttons and only 3 would be drop downs, such a design would be indeed absurd.

Facing these difficulties, I decided on not doing a drop down at all!

This is not giving up, because it is justified. I wanted to lose either compatibility nor visuals, and the necessity of a drop down menu for only 8 button could be questioned. Thus, I've decided on a single stripped navigation bar just like our first one.


No comments:

Post a Comment